Saturday, July 5, 2008

Patriotic Little Family



What a treat last night to learn, quite unexpectedly, that we had the best view of the local fireworks, from the front porch of my daughter's new home! I've been living here with her since this past February, when her dear husband departed for Air Force pilot's training in Oklahoma. Her pregnancy with the twins was far enough along at that point that she was no longer allowed to lift their toddler. So we've been participating in the reality show, where the grandma moves in -- and sleeps on the futon.... and paints murals on the nursery walls, while balancing previous committments and professional responsibilities.

[I JUST got off the phone with my dear SIL and it sounds like there is a very real possibility that he will be returning in the next two weeks, certainly so by the end of the month. Oh happy day!!]

It is amazing to contemplate how our service people give so much of themselves and the sacrifices that are required of their family members.... but that's a whole different blog.

There have been many blessings living with my three grandchildren for these couple of seasons. I know them each quite well. I was able to observe the acquisition of language for our 'reluctant talker' at very close range and see what a miraculous bridge sign language was to his acquiring spoken words. I've gotten to watch the twins rolling over for the first time. I've heard their first delightful coos and gurgles of interaction..... their smiles are just beginning to be meaningful acknowledgements which light up my heart for hours afterwards. There has certainly been more than just a silver lining to this togetherness time. What a joy to have three generations together -- even if only temporarily. And we are fortunate enough to have four generations gathered together on occaision: enough to take your breath away with gratitude.

I have loved having the opportunity to look thru the eyes of a toddler, all over again: To watch with amazement as he encounters snow for the first time. Playing a continuous, squeeling game of chase thru the floorplan's circle -- is a guarenteed gold medal of fun. Wondering together where the bunny will hop next? Knowing which picture book brings the fastest comfort. Realizing that vehicles-with-wheels are indeed our greatest contribution to mankind. Marveling over the length of eyelashes that glisten from a stern look given across the room. Grasping anew the gravitational power of the puddle. Observing the perseverance required to acquire a new skill. Lessons I've learned: PRICELESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...