Friday, July 25, 2008

Reading Family Time

Do you have sayings from your childhood that come back to you when you least expect it? I grew up hearing this old favorite: "We'll just have to make a silk purse out of that sow's ear" or this one: "poor as the church mice." Of course there were many others: "Make hay when the sun shines" or the ever popular: "A stitch in time saves nine." I don't even need to finish them for you. "When life gives you lemons..........."

I remember much growing up 'as poor as the church mice.' I remember that my very favorite place in town was always our public library. Back in the day, as we moved from hamlet to village in Indiana, one of our very first stops in our new community would be the closest library -- to get our new library cards. Having my card in hand always made me feel at home. Settled. Welcomed.

I remember reading together. I remember reading under my comforter with a flashlight and the occasional ruckus that created. I remember reading on long car rides across the country. I remember reading in the twilight, by gasoline lantern or campfire's flicker. I remember reading on snow-filled winter days. I remember being engrossed in wagon train rides and underwater submarine adventures. I remember all of those mysteries -- from the Nancy Drew series on to the Hardy boys and then making the leap to Agatha Christie novels, at the recommendation of a librarian. I remember traveling to foreign countries with my library card.

When you take a look at our family scrapbook you find evidence of that rich heritage of reading. It's a black and white photo for authenticity, featuring a mom, a dad, three children gathered together in laps and an open book. That's what I remember from my childhood. For some of today's children that's just as extreme a concept as space aliens landing down the street, just as quaint an idea as the horse and buggy. Let's get back to those basics. The time has come for parents to take action. Let's turn off all the screens in the house and declare 'Reading Together Night.' I can't wait to hear where that adventure will lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...