Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's YOGA Tuesday!!




Dateline: SSTR BAY. The other night taking pictures down at the marina, my eagle-eye scout husband saw the license plate that has eluded me all summer: SSTR BAY. Yes, that's Sister Bay on the village hall..... or to some in the reading audience, we call it Sistah Bay. Since today is Tuesday, it's yoga day in Sister Bay. I have been taking my first, ever, yoga classes this summer at our town hall. We meet weekly & are led by Marcia Hoebreckx -- powerhouse and wonder-woman all wrapped into one. Marcia is happy to share her age with the class and I verified that it was OK with her if I shared that tidbit with you, the reading audience. Marcia is 63 years young. As you can tell from the picture above, she is also one solid mass of muscle. AMAZING. Inspirational. Over the course of the summer I've gotten additional tidbits of Marcia's background: she married for the first time at age 49, she regularly used to mountain bike 250 miles a week in Colorado, she liked archery in summer camp as a second grader. Tidbits woven together. An impression over time.

After I'd been to class a couple of weeks and realized how much I was benefiting from her expertise I stayed after to ask some specific questions about my "issues." We got to talking and I told her about the prescription I'm on thru my oncologist. Right away, after I'd described my inflexible, aching joints, she guessed the prescription. She then went on to tell me that she is a 7 year survivor of BC (breast cancer) and that she's sportin' some 'beautiful, bionic boobies.' Well, needless to say I was nearly overcome. I had been in awe of her physical strength & flexibility already, but to put all that in the perspective of BC just makes her all the more amazing. She's one of the people I rejoice in knowing. I want to be like Marcia when I grow up. I added the picture of the two of us for my own personal diary of inspiration, but I hope that you might be motivated to do something physical in honor of your own aging process. Marcia would be proud of your effort.

[It seems fitting to insert a picture of my "CURE" hat from my FB biking photo album, while I'm on this subject.... I have now ridden 651.7 miles, so far this summer. Ya just gotta love having an odometer!!]

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...