Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Flashback: Pre 9-11 Era

Third of July. Years back. Summer camp: Camp Ora. I owned a flag-bag filled with flags. We paraded around the Bexley JCC and sang songs. [Children are always excited to go on a parade, as evidenced by this *ancient* captured enthusiasm.] Then came the shocking unfolding of the events of September. September 11th. Those are the same waving flags I used across town at the New Albany JCC during my leading "Tot-Shabbot" on the national day of prayer and mourning.

This parade is the very event, the actual precursor to what would became the song, which was the precursor to my current book. I knew that this picture existed at some point in time, but just today, this morning as we began to pack things up in my office, it re-appeared on the very top of a box of goodies chock full of thank you notes, photos, children's drawings, all sorts of evidence of love and support. Having the photo suddenly turn up, when I wanted it, was one of those amazing serendipitous, 'God winks.' A special word of thanks to Allen for scanning it for me.

Flash back, indeed.

I thought you'd be interested in the quotations on the back cover of my book:

"A perfect marriage of art & narrative. The multi-cultural aspect of the illustrations reinforce the United States as a 'melting pot.' The quilts are exquisite.... the intricacy of work is amazing. Some of the best fabric art I have seen in children's books. What a fitting tribute to 9-11."
-- Floyd C. Dickman, Co-Director
Mazza Museum Children's Book Center

"A masterpiece for all -- the old, the young and the in-between! A dazzling display of artistic talent with a finale of fireworks that is uniquely Debbie!"
-- Pam Schiller, Ph. D.
"Creating Readers"

"Our rainbow-girl continues to astonish & inspire with her joyful quilts & songs. This beautiful book will sing in your heart. God knows, we need to sing together."
-- Mimi Brodsky Chenfeld, Author & Advocate
"Creative Experiences for Young Children"

I'll tell you the amazing story of how I became acquainted with Floyd Dickman shortly. That's a real hum-dinger, worthy of it's own consideration. Wonder what on earth became of that skirt??? I wish that would turn up in the bottom of one of my infamous piles. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...