Sunday, September 15, 2013

Constitution Day Observation through the Arts

Constitution Day Observation through the Arts at RainbowsWithinReach

CONSTITUTION DAY is on the HORIZON

Tuesday of this week, September 17th, is the observation of 'Constitution Day' for children across America. How do we help to make sense of this rather high-level concept for young children? In my experience, we start with the basics. What does it mean to be an American? What are the symbols that we associate with America? How do we demonstrate our pride in being a citizen of America? 

Patriotic Drawing for Constitution Day

We start by making certain that young children can recognize our flag. 
We can then encourage them to portray the flag in their artwork. 
The drawing above is a bald eagle and flag combo from the talent of a first grader up here in WI. It was proudly on display in the halls while I made my school visit on Friday. 


Patriotic Marble Painting Project at RainbowsWithinReach


Chances are pretty good that you're new here. 
Quite possibly brought to my domain by either Pinterest or an internet/Google search. 
Welcome! 
I am an author/illustrator of children's picture books, 
based on original song lyrics I've written and recorded! 

This is me on the very day where I was 'proofing' the signatures of the pages that went on to become my newest picture book. 

 Proof Sheets for picture book, "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement


My books are based on songs I've written and recorded. 
There is a CD insert in every book. 
So as the child 'sings-along' they can soon start 'reading along.' 

"Red, White and Blue" Picture Book to Song Lyrics by Debbie Clement

Quilted Illustrations in "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement

I make the illustrations for my books from fabric, as small quilts. 
The quilts are then scanned into the computer and ultimately a traditional hardback book is printed. 

As you see, every time the new verse begins,
"Red, white and blue...... I love you" 
there is a new quilt image of flag-esque designs. 

Quilted Illustrations in "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement

So now I get to design school visits as an author/illustrator.
It is during these visits that the students have responded to my artwork with their own. 
Much of my blog's content is the capturing of this 
'excellence-in-education' that I see during my adventures. 

Project Based Learning in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

My book was used as the basis for a "PBL: Project Based Learning" approach. 
(click back to this article to see the many facets of their exploration.) 

I will now incorporate other patriotic projects created for my visits.

 Red, White and Blue: Construction Paper Quilts in Honor of 9-11 (in response to "Red, White and Blue" picture book)

Child Painting the American Flag

Bulletin Board of Patriotic Images for Author Illustrator School Visit with Debbie Clement


Flag Artwork for Constitution Day

Kindergarten Project Based Learning Picture Book via RainbowsWithinReach

Kindergarten Project Based Learning Picture Book via RainbowsWithinReach

Fireworks Art Project in Celebration of all things Americana by Kindergarten Students

Symbols of America project for children, kindergarten painting for Memorial Day

American Flag of painted handprints

Finger Painted American Flags on Window

American Flag Handprint Paintings

Flag image of photos of students, Patriotic projects

Since I'm a quilt appreciator, I attend as many quilt shows as possible. 
This following quilt image was part of a nationally touring display that I saw in Columbus, 
several years ago. 

American Flag Quilt from Quilt National Traveling Display

Patriotic Weavings in Elementary School Art at RainbowsWithinReach

Heart Flags for America at RainbowsWithinReach


Patriotic Symbols for America (Constitution Day) at RainbowsWithinReach

Of course every project that is made in anticipation of my arrival is a favorite. 
This one made in the heart of New York City, by very young children -- 
has an extra-special place in my heart. 
Their JCC center is RIGHT beside a NYC firehouse. 

New York City Patriotic Quilt for Author/Illustrator School Visit with Debbie Clement

photo of: Bald Eagle Cooperative Art Project in Elementary School


photo of: A single Sparkler says Happy Birthday, America

Here's one of my favorite videos. Kinder-kids singing and singing my song! 
They are standing in front of the GIGANTIC marble painted quilt they made. 
You can see those details captured earlier in this article. 


Because patriotism is very important to me, 
I have constructed a Pinterest pinboard devoted to the subject. 
There are already 532 ideas pinned there to support your exploration of this concept. 


All of my books are available through my website, Teachers Pay Teachers and our 
Early Education Emporium. 

I have created a zipped file, where you can purchase, and instantly download the song and the charts for music and sign language to support the performance of my song via TpT and EEE

***I have put the digital copy and the picture book on a 20% discount at TpT. 

I'll make you a further "deal." 
If you purchase the picture book (which of course needs to be shipped) 
I'll email you the digital copy for you to use IMMEDIATELY. 

That's a win/win, right? 

photo of: "Red, White and Blue" Digital Download Available Now

P,S, When you go to my pinboard for all things patriotic
you will find the brand new product by my dear friend Crystal of 
"Kreative Kinders" as the most recent pin. 
Her TpT product is 'hot-off-the-press' and PERFECT for the littles. 

Celebrate Freedom Constitution & US Symbols Unit! Product on Teachers Pay Teachers $

Also on the pinboard is this FREEBIE craftivty by Maria of "Kinder Craze" fame. 

great ideas for constitution day in kindergarten

On other news. 
Today is "International Dot Day." 

International "Dot Day" in response to "The Dot" at RainbowsWithinReach


Group collaborative Art Project in response to "The Dot"


Group collaborative Art Project in response to "The Dot"


Earlier this summer I had a RoundUP of all things "Spots and Dots" and fostering imagination. This is the perfect time to share that link again. {Click pic} 


Lots of DOTS & Spots and Circles: oh my! Roundup at RainbowsWithinReach

As always, I'm so grateful for every pin. 
You become an ambassador for my efforts by sharing through pinning. 
Thank you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...