Sunday, February 8, 2015

Presidents Day + Patriotism = "Red, White and Blue" Sing a Picture Book


PRESIDENTS DAY with YOUNG STUDENTS = PATRIOTISM 

For our youngest students, teachers are always attempting to get to the basics to build a framework that can be expanded on over time. Presidents Day and the history of our country is a very broad concept that must be 'boiled down'  for our youngest. For me, all of our patriotic holidays come down to one symbol. It is the flag that we all hold dear. The flag represents so much to so many. It represents freedom. Freedom is a vague concept to a four year old. 

The four year old has the ability to recognize and identify the colors of the flag, certainly. From there we begin to move from basic color recognition onward to what the flag means and why it is to be respected. A critical leap in every child's learning. 

Every patriotic 'holiday' that presents itself on the calendar, is another opportunity to build upon the color recognition basics onward toward a respect for what others have contributed to make this country of ours what it is today. And so it is with Presidents Day. Those who safeguard our freedom are to be studied, appreciated, respected and admired. 


My husband served in the Navy for four years aboard the John F. Kennedy air craft carrier, back in the day. My son-in-law Zac is in the Navy and is permanently stationed in Washingon DC. The father of my WonderPeeps, is in the Air Guard and flies the BIG planes for our country. I think of the service of each of these men in my immediate life and am grateful to them for their contributions to our country and their personal contributions of preserving the freedoms we all hold dear. 



I wrote my patriotic children's song, "Red, White and Blue" immediately after September 11th. It is my 'contribution' to the celebration of our country and ALL of the things that we hold dear. It is my effort to help bridge the gap between the simplicity of color recognition and help move children toward a sense of belonging to a broader community, a sense of patriotism. 

As a result of my creating the song into it's picture book format I had the amazing opportunity to go on tour to four of our US Army bases across Germany and Italy!!! Yes. My book was given a national award! Chosen as the independent picture book of the year, in fact! It is available directly from me on my website or at TeachersPayTeachers.


National Indie Award of Excellence Winner for Children's Picture Book with Audio: shiny gold sticker!!!

Singing and sharing my picture book with the children of our troops stationed abroad gave me a much richer perspective of the sacrifice of our people in the service. It was amazing to have men and women in their fatigues, holding babes and toddlers and chasing their big kids at our family concerts together. 


Family Concert: Meeting the Troops and Signing Autographs in Italy

My travels to their midst were part of the celebration of "Month of the Military Child." I got to take my songs, picture books and camera to amazing moments cherished in my heart. My leading songs in the midst of such heroes was beyond humbling. 


Daddy hug at Army base concert in Italy

My very favorite photo of my two week European tour is this next image captured in Italy. I chose two daddies to help me explain how I make quilts for illustrations for my picture books. One daddy is holding the quilt I designed and sewed while the other holds my open book. These images are of the 'end papers' of my book. The adoring little daughter looking up at the comparison is what captures my heart forever!! (You can see that I was literally in motion the entire two weeks.)


I have seen those very same dusty boots captured above in the midst of my WonderPeep's (grandchildren) kitchen awaiting yet another departure of their daddy from their midst. I hold our service men and women in my daily prayers for a safe return to their families, while thanking them for their service. 


Close up images of the Kindergarten Bulletin Board Welcome for my Author Visit with "Red, White and Blue" picture book

Take a look at how teachers went over-the-top for one of my "Author Visits" in central Ohio. The students created amazing patriotic work in response to all three of my picture books, making a bulletin board in honor of each one!! Today I want to take a look at the patriotic projects they created in response to "Red, White and Blue."



I asked Kinder-teacher-extraordinaire, Mrs. Grote how on earth her students had achieved such awesome results as these photographed above and below. She told me that the Statue of Liberty drawings are a result of a guided drawing exercise from a packet of ideas by Deanna Jump, available at Teachers Pay Teachers. The very same Deanna I have come to know and love out on the circuit of conferences. "It's a Small World After All." 

Take a look at this kindergarten classroom wall. AM.A.ZING! What a way to celebrate all that is America! Combining Deanna's hands on patriotic projects with my song and book are the perfect multi-sensory, Arts integration, project based learning approach needed by maturing students. If I do say so myself! Sing it, sign it, draw it, cut and paste and STUDY it! Patriotism! Americana! Presidents Day! 


Kindergarten Room 26, St. Paul, Westerville OH, in anticipation of my author visit: WALL of patriotism

Imagine my heart as I walk into this classroom. To walk into their kindergarten room in Ohio and to literally be SURROUNDED with their patriotic art projects in honor of my arrival, my patriotic picture book. Its moments like this that I have to pinch myself. I really am living the dream.

To view the overview of my book, please read my blog article from September 11th

I have a digital version of the song in Mp3 format for IMMEDIATE Download at TpT. 

Zipped Digital File: "Red, White and Blue" Patriotic Song by Debbie Clement
Click pic to go directly to Teachers Pay Teachers


I have a pinboard on Pinterest, literally filled to the brim with all sorts of patriotic ideas..... just click the image above to be transported to all things Americana. 

Chances are good that you haven't heard my song. 
Take a listen now to a Kindergarten performance! 


Listen in as these enthusiastic Kindergarteners sing and SIGN to my song. They created their backdrop patriotic quilt over several weeks of 'marble painting' on construction paper. They have their own label here on my blog, "Carie's Kindergarten."   

My picture book version of the song is filled with flag and flag like images. I created the illustrations out of fabric as small quilts. My school visits are often awash with quilted collaborations in response to my work. 



This fabric illustration is at very near the conclusion of my book. 
That is the father of my WonderPeeps in his dress blues. 
We are singing THANK YOU for our country. 

photo of: Quilted Picture Book Illustration for "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement

My other son-in-law is Zac and he is in the Navy band, 
permanently stationed in Washington DC. 
Zac and Noelle got married in a gazebo and I thought that would be a fitting backdrop
for his quartet to perform permanently. 
photo of: Quilted Illustrations for Patriotic Picture Book "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement 

Even at this late date, my song is so simple, 
you can teach it one time and perform it the next. 
It's a classic 'zipper' song -- where everything stays the same and only one word changes from verse-to-verse! 
{You zip-off one word and zip-in the next!}

Get started with the song now for President's Day and by the end of the year, you'll have the confidence to PERFORM it for Memorial Day and end-of-the-year programs.

See what others have to say about this resource: 

Teacher Feedback on "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement

I'd LUV LUV LUV to hear from you if you incorporate my song into your school's patriotic festivities.

By all means, I am grateful for every social share and pin! 
You become part of my word-of-mouth advertising
and I'm forever grateful! 

Blue sky parade and Old Glory in abundance



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...